We have a current position available for a clinical placement of a student midwife at River Valley Birth Center in St Peter, MN. Student can be either in Primary Under Supervision role or Assist role. If in PUS, then call can be shared with another student, or student can decide to be available for all births for continued learning. Clinic days will be split with another student, so there is ample time to study and attend classes.
About River Valley Birth Center: Our practice consists of 2 CPMs and 1 CNM. We attend 8-12 births a month, on average with the majority being at the birth center, but there are some homebirths as well. We work with a variety of students including Nurse Practitioner students, CNM students, and CPM students. Our facility serves primarily rural families in south central Minnesota and we are Essential Community Providers. We serve a very high rate of medicaid population, families who come from underserved communities, families who have low incomes, and special populations. We are absolutely passionate about providing excellent and compassionate maternity care to these families. Continuity of care is extremely important to us, even in a group practice setting.
- Enrollment in a MEAC program
- Primary Under Supervision level of clinic or Assisting level (NARM PHASE 2 or 3)
- Willingness to relocate to St Peter area (or willingness to rent a room in town for on-call times)
- NRP and CPR
- A 6-12 month commitment, at an absolute minimum. If a student is very early in their training, they should expect to complete approximately 2 years of clinical training to finish with NARM numbers and hours. We do not offer extremely short clinical placements as this is disruptive to the families we serve.
- Preference will be given to students coming from a rural area and who are committed to returning to that area to serve families who lack options for maternity care.
If interested please send the following to email@example.com :
- Application for student midwife position
- Letter of interest indicating when you would be available to start
If we choose to interview you for this position, please be prepared to send the following:
- 2 letters of recommendation, preferably from a clinical preceptor or instructor at your school
- CPR card
- NRP card
- Proof of enrollment in MEAC program
If you are accepted to fill this position we will require the following prior to clinic:
- Immunization records
- Contracts with your school
- Proof of liability insurance from your school
- You will be required to complete HIPAA and OSHA training
- Confidentiality statements/agreements